Tweet of the Day: One-Star Wars
ANN News Desk on The Citadel
May 17, 2197
New Pre-Prothean Culture Discovered
By Tico Brie
CITADEL, THE PRESIDIUM- An expedition through the newly opened mass relay into the Ybarra Cluster, an unexplored star cluster at the outer edge of the Carina-Sagittarius arm of the galaxy encountered signs of a Pre-Prothean civilization on the post-garden world of Arth. This is the first relay opened since the First Contact War/Relay 314 incident. It is one of a score of new relays discovered in a search of hidden data banks found deep within the Citadel after the Reaper Invasion.
The Ybarra Cluster relay led to a tight cluster of five stars, each with at least one garden or post-garden world orbiting each. Upon reaching the first post-garden world, the expedition discovered the ruins of an ancient civilization nominally designated as the Spemin. Carbon dating of the sites plus the activation of a galactic “Star Map” allowed the archaeologist to date the ruins at about 146,200 years from the present or around three galactic cycles, making this the oldest known civilization in record, aside from the Reapers. Based on mathematical and linguistic data extracted from the Star Map plus study of mummified remains , the salarian expedition leader, Dr. Leerry Pourrs, published the following preliminary findings:
- The cluster was colonized by FTL capable generation ships that used a combination of banks of genetic material and crypreservation to maintain minimum population density.
- The society was composed of different species of varied backgrounds, including mammalian, reptilian and sentient plat life forms of bipedal body plan/evolution.
- The species relied on both extensive cloning and automation to maintain their isolated colonies.
- They seem to have escaped an event alternatively called, “The Great Hunt” or “The Great Culling”. It may be a reference to that cycle’s extinction terminus brought about by Reaper harvest of advance civilizations although no record identifying who or what was behind this event(s) has been found.
- The Star Map lacks a record of the Citadel, but it identifies several mass relays across the Ybarra Cluster. The word that marks each one translates to either, “Ominous” or “Hell(ish)”.
- So far, it seems that most colony sites collapsed due to a combination of environmental and socioeconomic factors exacerbated by the isolation between them. Dr. Pourrs believes that this isolation was due to a prohibition or taboo against the use of the mass relays.
Due to the large find of alien technology and artifacts that survived at least one Reaper extinction event, the Citadel Council asked the the Systems Alliance parliament to re-task the Systems Alliance Exploration Flotilla to the Ybarra Cluster. Parliament acceded to the request and the flotilla should arrive on Arth within the week.