Why call it a non-review, because in order to properly review this movie I would have to go into details that would ruin it for you. And I don’t want to do that?
I will, however, highlight some of the ways this movie is AWESOME! by using my preferred method of illustrating things, bullet points. So in no particular order:
- Spock: It is all about the man, or should I say Half-Vulcan/Half-Human green blooded alien struggling with his emotions and his heritage. Zachary Quinto nailed the performance, as did all the actors (extra bonus performances from both Karl Urban as McCoy and Simon Pegg as Scotty). And yes you will applaud when Leonard Nimoy comes on the screen.
- The Nods: From Red Shirts to a certain admiral’s beagle, this movie has it all, pay particular attention to all the Wrath of Khan references.
- Sound in Space: I like how they played with this particular trope. Just remember to open your chute at the right time.
- The Starship Enterprise: A character in itself. Somehow the makers of the movie made it both Shiny Looking and Cool at the same time.
- Villain’s Motivation: Nero, played by Eric Bana, comes up as twisted, wounded and utterly dedicated to his cause without coming off as a total ham. Too bad he didn’t quote Shakespeare although he did prove that revenge is best served cold, or as cold as the near vacuum of space will allow and then some.
- Applied Phlebotinum: Done extremely well as well as subverted all at the same time. It’s because the director and writers know their tropes so well that they managed to turned them into powerful story telling tools instead movie crashing cliches.
- Rule of Cool: Applied liberally to everything in the movie. ‘Nuff said!
So to recap, this…movie…IS…AWESOME!
These are the voyages….
P.S. In your comments, please add (SPOILER) if you are going to discuss any plot points. Thank you.